Thursday 17 April 2014

Module 3, Chapter 11: Composite sheet and evaluation

Although I have previously included photos of my final accessory, here is my composite sheet which links everything together to show my inspiration for the piece and how it developed along the way.

Note: Apologies for the fact you need to scroll sideways to see all of the image- I just felt that the image at any smaller scale just wouldn't show off the details within it.


3/11/1 Final Accessory composite sheet
3/11/1 Final Accessory composite sheet

How do you feel about the resulting conclusion?

Overall I am pleased with the final outcome, especially as it was made under challenging circumstances. This was due to my work commitments leaving me very limited time to produce the work in.

Is it fit for purpose?

I hope that my images showing the neck piece in different styling formations on the mannequin have helped to prove it is fit for purpose in terms of being worn. I believe I kept well to my chosen colour scheme throughout although for the final piece I did chose more subtle and less bright variations of the oranges and blues as for me this means I would be more likely to wear it as these are colours I have a personal preference for. In terms of the spiral theme I tried to incorporate it as much as possible within my final accessory- from the patterns of the paint and dye effects, the way I applied the embroidery and embellishments, the way I cut in the spiral shape and finally the way the piece hangs into further spirals. I used techniques developed through this project and combined in with them patchwork and applique techniques from my previous modules as was suggested in the brief.

If you were asked to make it again, what changes would you make to the way you designed it and the way you made it?

If I had more quality time on the project I might have considered other enhancements at the design and/or make stages such as adding some tassels to the edging or creating my own toggle buttons and loops so it could be fastened around the neck in different ways.

I was quite frustrated in the end as I was having to sneak 20 minutes here and there rather than having a nice block of hours to work within where I could give my work the full attention it really needed. This was down to circumstances beyond my control so there was not a lot I could do about it at the time and I became increasingly conscious that my plan to complete the whole project within 6 months had turned into a year! I am hopeful that with my next module I should have more time opportunities and will be able to work much better to the 6 month schedule as my work/life balance is starting to settle now. If nothing else, I have been able to recognise that as a learner/designer/maker that I struggle with producing work within small time slots and I really need to 'lose' myself in my work over preferably a day at a time to get the best ideas and make the most significant progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment