Thursday 5 April 2012

Past embroidery #3

Last year I entered a design and make a pennant for the Olympics competition through my WI. I was chuffed when my pennant was selected to represent my WI (Radstock) and was placed on display in the WI tent at the Newbury show. Alas I didnt win overall, however my pennant was one of the ones photographed and published in the WI Life national magazine. Ironically it was presented at a size on the page significantly bigger than the winning entries! My pennant will now be presented to one of the atheletes in London 2012 Olympics (or Para-Olympics) as a keepsake from the event. I am secretly hoping it will go to a badminton player as that was the theme I based my design on- a choice made due in part to the fact my husband plays/coaches/watches badminton avidly and in part due to the fact we have tickets to a couple of the badminton events this summer!


To create the pennant I first hand dyed a piece of white satin fabric in vibrant colours with the bright reds/oranges and yellows to represent the Olympic torch. I then free machine embroidered in random scribbles all over, taking care to match the colours of the threads with the background. Finally I then layered the design up with wadding on the reverse then satin stitched/quilted the badminton player design onto the background. This design was very tenuously based around a clip art image of a badminton player that I switched up and adapted to make it my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment