Friday 24 August 2012

Module one, chapter nine

An exploration of different reverse applique techniques.

Sample one: Traditional reverse applique

I did not enjoy this technique so much, maybe because I produced this sample when I was ill, maybe because the shape I chose to use wasn't as effective as I hoped it would be!

Katie Green, module one, chapter nine, image one
1/9/1: sample one, traditional reverse applique
Samples two and three: Contemporary reverse applique samples.

For these and the other samples I chose to switch to another shape as I felt the one that I chose for sample one was not quite right for the effects I wanted to create. The shape I went with however did retain an essence of the shape in sample one so all samples do still feel like they are part of the same collection.

Sample two (left)= outside in, sample three (right) = inside out. Both use the same fabric layers to start with. Sample two gives a great sense of depth whereas sample three protrudes outwards. It is amazing how the same layers, colours and shapes can be so different depending on the order of cutting!

Katie Green, module one, chapter nine, image two
1/9/2: samples two and three, contemporary reverse applique
Sample four is of chenille / slashed reverse applique.

Until this course I had not heard of this method but it has now become one of my favourite techniques ever! I love the textured effect it gives and I can see all sorts of future possibilities with my work if I was to do this technique again. It is a real shame that I have been unable to take a photo that really does this sample any justice as the texture that makes it work appears to be bleached out somewhat, although interesting to note that the print on the top layer of fabric is more obvious on the picture than it is on the actual sample.

Katie Green, module one, chapter nine, image three
1/9/3: sample four, chenille / slashed applique

Sample five is a multi-coloured ripple effect reverse applique.

This sample appears to have the best of both worlds of depth and 3D effects that were seen in samples two and three. I was quite experimental here and layed out the colours in a random way before sewing. To develop this kind of sample further more could be done to plan out what colour goes where in advance. It would also be interesting to try out this technique with other stitches such as satin stitch or a decorative machine stitch- I will bear this in mind if I chose to use this sample on my resolved piece.


Katie Green, module one, chapter nine, image four
1/9/4:sample five, multi-coloured ripple effect reverse applique

No comments:

Post a Comment