Saturday 22 September 2012

Module one, chapter ten

To get started with this topic on Inlay Applique I first created an insertion stitch sample from a decorated felt bonded fabric cut up and reconstructed to test a variety of hand and machine embroidery stitches. The photo below shows the results of this along with my accompanying sketch book notes. I found the plaited insertion stitch the most challenging as there seemed to be very little in any of my embroidery books or online that showed you visually how to work it in a clear to follow way. The hand embroidery stitch that I enjoyed the most was the laced insertion stitch as although it was not the quickest nor the easiest one to complete it was the most therapeutic! I found that the hand embroidery stitches tended to look best when there was a visible gap between the fabric pieces while the machine stitches naturally pulled the fabrics together.


Katie Green, module one, chapter ten, image one
1/10/1, Insertion stitch sample

The following photo shows my first interchange sample at the top: 'simple counter-change sample 1'. For this sample I used two different bonded felt fabrics (that contrasted with each other) and used the laced insertion stitch to combine them together with the star motif cut and swapped between them. The outside edges have been finished with blanket stitch.

The sample displayed underneath is my counter-change sample 2. This is similar to the first sample however uses four different samples counter-changed between themselves with the motif in the centre. This sample also features an additional mini counter-change in the middle. Once again the fabrics have been joined using the laced insertion stitch but the motif has been joined using a 'cross' machine stitch. Before starting this sample I planned this idea out carefully by trying out the various possible combinations first. The photo that follows shows my working sheet for this along with the planning for interchange sample 3.


Katie Green, module one, chapter ten, image two
1/10/2: Counter-change samples 1 and 2


Katie Green, module one, chapter ten, image three
1/10/3: Working sheet for interchange samples 2 and 3

My final interchange sample shows four different squares of decorative bonded felt fabrics. As you can see from my working sheet I decided to rotate the designs to add another dimension of interest. This time as well as the motifs the squares were attached using the cross machine stitch and further embellishments were made with hand embroidery afterwards. I was very pleased with the overall effect- it is interesting that the sample looks far more complex than it was to produce. I feel that part of the success of the sample however was down to the various contrasts in textures and colours.



Katie Green, module one, chapter ten, image four
1/10/4: Interchange sample 3

No comments:

Post a Comment