Wednesday 30 October 2013

Module 3, Chapter 3: fabrics, threads, dying and printing

3/3/1: selection of fabrics and threads
3/3/1: selection of fabrics and threads
To start this chapter I looked at my existing fabric and thread stash to see what appropriate materials I already had. The image on the left shows swatches of this collection. Some of the fabrics/threads I had previously had been dyed by me for other projects. These swatches just 'represent' the collection and are by no means all that I found!

My next step was to dye my own fabrics. I used some orange and blue fabric dyes and a range of tie-dye techniques to produce a range of different effects. I deliberately watered down the dyes as I thought it would be nice to have a more subtle effect so that when I printed on top of them there would be more of a contrast.

Finally, I printed on top of a selection of my fabrics using the same monoprinting and block printing techniques that I had applied to my coloured papers. The following images show some of these fabrics. Unfortunately I cannot seem to be able to upload any images of my tie-dyes today- they will not display:(




3/3/2: Printed fabric
3/3/2: Printed fabric
3/3/3: Printed fabric
3/3/3: Printed fabric
3/3/4: Printed fabric
3/3/4: Printed fabric
3/3/5: Printed fabric
3/3/5: Printed fabric






No comments:

Post a Comment