Sunday 24 March 2013

Module 2, Chapter 2: Tonal columns in stitchery

To start this chapter I created a tonal column using stitchery in black and white threads. The way in which I overlapped and blended the threads in the middle sections was responsible for the overall effect. I was happy with this sample, however it took me quite a long time to create as I was a perfectionist in how and where the threads needed to be placed!

Following on from the tonal sample I used graph paper to plot out potential ideas for a blackwork tonal column. I tried 4 variations on paper before committing to stitching my 4th effort. The point of each of these designs was to add an additional stitch to the pattern as the pattern progressed down the column. I did this to each row, however I could have alternatively stitched for a few rows before adding the next stitch addition for a larger sample.

The next blackwork sample I produced used spacing of stitches to create a tonal effect. Once again, if I was to rework this sample on a larger scale, I would stitch several rows the same before adding more space between each row of the pattern.

Finally, my last sample for this chapter I used the thickness of the thread to create the tonal effect. I started with a doubled up yarn, progressed to embroidery threads removing a strand every few rows. The final few rows I used the finest cotton thread I could find which happened to be marginally thinner than a single embroidery thread strand. Out of all my samples I feel that this is the best tonal effect overall.

Please see the image below that displays all the samples I have blogged about:


Tonal columns in stitchery
2/2/1: Tonal columns in stitchery


No comments:

Post a Comment