Wednesday 6 April 2016

Module 5, Chapter 4: Fabric Investigation

To start this chapter I raided my fabric stash to extract samples of all the white/off white fabrics I had collected over the years. I collated small swatches of each one and recorded them into my sketchbook (see image below). I was quite surprised that I had such a wide variety. I tried to catalog each swatch as accurately as I could but I admit that some of them were complete guesses based on experience and comparing against fabrics I did have data on.

5/4/1: A collection of fabric swatches
A collection of fabric swatches
My next move was to take some of these fabrics and experiment with them- seeing how they ripped, melted/burned, frayed and knotted especially to see how I could create interesting edges/fabric bands as a result. I particularly enjoyed creating my own 'fringing' using a soldering iron to melt and cut the fabric simultaneously. the following image shows some of these experiments.

5/4/2: Fabric experiments
Fabric experiments

No comments:

Post a Comment