Monday 25 June 2012

Module one, chapter Five

For my fabric selections I raided my own existing stash of fabrics and found some other fabrics in the recycling/scraps box in my classroom at school where I work. This meant that I did not need to purchase any fabrics but I still ended up with a good selection to draw upon. I did however buy some fibre papers (one in green, one in red) as I thought that these would contrast well with the other fabrics that I already had. The range of fabrics that I collected included plain cottons, polyester lining fabric, faux suede, faux silk, netting, organza, chiffon, felt and satin. There were a few other fabrics too although I only had very small quantities of them. Some of the fabrics I had I dyed green to see how they would look. This had varying effects, the same dye came out in different strengths depending on the type of fabric it was used on. I decided not to pursue this idea beyond the small samples I tested as it was a bit hit and miss for my colour scheme and was also time consuming.

After collecting the fabrics I then experimented with printing onto them taking into consideration the patterns that I felt worked well when previously using my printed stamp onto my coloured papers.

Below are images that show my fabrics in swatches and some test prints I tried. I did create other prints but these were used in some of the samples in chapter 6.

Katie Green, Module 1, chapter 5, image 1
1/5/1: Printed experiments onto my selected fabrics

Katie Green, Module 1, chapter 5, image 2
1/5/2: Swatches of collected fabrics and some further printing experiments

Below are some of the larger pieces of fabric that I printed ready for samples to be used in later chapters for this module. The more faded samples show the print onto a light green netting. As they were placed over a white piece of paper for the photo they look really pale in the photo but in real life they are actually quite vibrant! I really liked the effect this gave and it gives opportunities for layering later on.

Katie Green, Module 1, chapter 5, image 3
1/5/3: Larger printed samples ready for use later in the project

No comments:

Post a Comment