Monday 25 June 2012

Module one, chapter six

The first 6 samples in this chapter were fabric versions of the coloured cut paper layered designs in chapter 4. I used a mix of fabric types for these- the thick with the thin, the opaque with the semi-transparent. I also utilised some of my printed fabrics from chapter 5 to add another level of detail. When using the netting/organza/chiffon I experiemented with trapping threads and other bits such as fruit netting and slivers of cellophane sweet wrappers underneath the Bondaweb.

The second set of 6 samples I experimented further with the trapping of threads and netting etc and seeing how they looked on different backgrounds. I also experimented with painting the surface of the Bondaweb. Unfortunately I found that this technique did not adhere to the background as well as I hoped however it did give quite a nice 'distressed' look because of this. For all these samples I made the point of using just one layer and design 'A5' from chapter 4. I felt that by using the same pattern for each it would make it easier to compare and contrast each sample. I also made the point of trying all colour combinations: red on red, green on green, green on red and red on green. I prefer the samples that have the contrasting colours.

Katie Green, Module 1, chapter 6, image 1
1/6/1: Bondaweb experiments
For my next batch of 6 samples I tried using some of my dyed tissue paper bonded to a fabric background. To add interest I scrumpled it up first, however I found that the process of ironing the Bondaweb to it flattened it out too much. In the other samples I was more experimental with the way I layered the trapped threads and other components underneath. I decided I preferred the more random effects to the samples where I carefully placed the threads into specific lines. Once again for all these samples I used the cut paper pattern 'A5' from chapter 4 in a single layer.

I have also included off-cuts and other samples of trapped threads/netting and other components using Bondaweb and netting/fibre paper on top.

Katie Green, Module 1, chapter 6, image 2
1/6/2: Further Bondaweb experiments
Finally, below are the larger samples that I produced ready to work with in chapters that follow. Each sample is 20x20cm in size. For some reason the photograph does not reflect the vibrant colours of the actual samples I produced nor can you appreciate the details of the threads etc trapped under the top layers that you can if you handle the actual samples.


Katie Green, Module 1, chapter 6, image 3
1/6/3: Larger Bondaweb 'trapped' samples ready for use as layers in other samples

No comments:

Post a Comment