Tuesday 2 April 2013

Module 2, Chapter 10: 'Piecing'- a method of cutting and seaming

To start this chapter I first tried my own pattern using black and white paper and a photocopier to help each 'piecing' stage progress. The result is in the image below.

2/10/1
2/10/1

Although the use of a photocopier helped make the process of putting this design together easier, I soon realised that this was a very time consuming process to create it. I decided to therefore try other patterns using a computer to create them. This way I was able to very quickly come up with 6 other variations which can be seen in the following images. As a real bonus I did not end up with black fingers from the photocopy ink either! I also found this technique can create some real optical illusions.... the designs look as if they are moving and some aspects seem to literally jump off screen at you. In some cases the lines do not even look parallel even though they are.

Please note that although these images all appear ok on screen when editing this blog, when viewed in the published version they occassionally disappear or not display. Not sure what has caused this so it is a real pot luck if you will see all of them or not!

2/10/2
2/10/2


2/10/3
2/10/3

2/10/4
2/10/4

2/10/5
2/10/5

2/10/6
2/10/6

2/10/7
2/10/7
 I next translated this method into fabric, with the resulting sample in the image below. I was overall really disappointed with the result and I could see with hindsight so many different ways in which it could have been better, for example I think the angles I cut into the fabric could have been better. I also cut a little too randomly and without much thought meaning that the end result was not gradual like in the examples shown in the course guide. I feel however that next time I will be able to do a better job at it. One redeeming factor though with this sample is that I love the reverse side texture and this side is far more successful than the 'neat' side in my opinion.


2/10/8
2/10/8


No comments:

Post a Comment