Tuesday 2 April 2013

Module 2, Chapter 7

Traditional 'piecing' methods: Log cabin first stage

Using my decorated papers I tried out a variety of 'log cabin' patterns. These can be seen in the image below. I discovered that sometimes the 'log cabin' pattern could get lost among all the patterns on the paper, but this was not necessarily a negative and could be something I could consider playing on in future ideas. The most challenging patterns to put together were those that had triangular pieces on angles. My favourite samples were the more traditional variations, especially ones that had a 'spiral' effect.


First stage log cabin- using patterned papers
2/7/1: First stage log cabin- using patterned papers
 Traditional 'piecing' methods: Log cabin Second stage

I next converted some of my paper ideas into fabric samples. The results are below. I deliberately tried not to be too perfect when cutting each fabric piece to size as I wanted each sample to have it's own personality- I did however ensure that the seam allowance was the same across the board. I discovered that the patterns on the fabric additionally gave a bit of an optical illusion depending on where the patterns were place on the fabric, for example if the pattern was asymmetric then the whole sample felt slightly skewed!


Second stage log cabin- piecing fabric together
2/7/2: Second stage log cabin- piecing fabric together

Seminole method- first stage paper designs

The image below shows my paper experiments using the seminole method of piecing them together. I found my favourite variations were those which used plain black/white pieces to break up the busy patterns. I initially thought that this technique would be a quick and easy one to do, however it turned out to be the complete opposite for me.


First stage Seminole method- paper ideas
2/7/3: First stage Seminole method- paper ideas
 Seminole method- Second stage fabric designs

Although the paper designs were for me time consuming and tricky to piece together, I found the fabric versions to be the opposite. It did not take long at all to piece samples together. I think this was mainly down to the fact that to 'stitch and cut' was far less fiddly than to 'stick and cut'. The samples I produced are in the image below. I really enjoyed this technique.


Second stage Seminole method- Fabric samples
2/7/4: Second stage Seminole method- Fabric samples


No comments:

Post a Comment