Thursday 19 February 2015

Module 4 Chapter 1: Media research

The first collection of inspiration I gathered was of potential materials I could use in my project. I was particularly drawn to brown envelopes, the insides of window envelopes (black and white patterned papers) and postage stamps. To summarise this collection of resources I collated a selection together as follows:

Module 4 chapter 1 image 1
Module 4 chapter 1 image 1: Media research
Following on from my materials research I put together a collection of lettering styles for consideration. The only criteria I followed for this was that I was being personally drawn to specific styles. I did however try and find as wide a range of styles as possible from calligraphy to graffiti to Art Nouveau.

Module 4 chapter 1 image 2
Module 4 chapter 1 image 2: Lettering styles #1

Module 4 chapter 1 image 3
Module 4 chapter 1 image 3: lettering styles #2
After this research it was time for me to go on my Cruise holiday- a week away on the Royal Caribbean boat 'The Independence of the seas'. Not only did this cruise around the French and northern Spanish coats generate many memories through photos and newsletters among other keepsakes (as I had anticipated in this module's introduction) I found inspiration all around me. All around the boat there were examples of different lettering styles all presented in different formats. I took numerous photos to record all of these- the following images displaying the ones that appealed to me the most:

Module 4 Chapter 1 image 4
Module 4 Chapter 1 image 4: Images of lettering from cruise

Module 4 Chapter 1 image 5
Module 4 Chapter 1 image 5: Images of lettering from cruise

Module 4 Chapter 1 image 6
Module 4 Chapter 1 image 6: Images of lettering from cruise

Module 4 Chapter 1 image 7
Module 4 Chapter 1 image 7: Images of lettering from cruise

On return from the cruise I investigated how others had written the word 'cruise' in different lettering styles. I was a little surprised to see that many were actually quite simple in style. I particularly liked the ones that had a hand written feel to them. 

Module 4 Chapter 1 image 8
Module 4 Chapter 1 image 8: Cruise lettering

No comments:

Post a Comment