Friday 20 February 2015

Module 4, Chapter 6: part 2: Stitchery to decorate the drawn fabric

Following on my previous sample (where I withdrew threads then wove through these areas with ribbons and other trimmings) I created the same 'base' withdrawn thread sample backing. This time however I used hand stitching to add decoration through:

  • Various embroidery stitches such as chain stitch
  • Weaving the embroidery threads back through to create new patterns.
  • Knotting the embroidery threads around clumps of the black threads in the sample
Additionally on one of the lines I tried threading through a ribbon with knotting it around clumps of threads.

My favourite effect within this sample is where the knotting of the threads around clumps causes 'columns' to form. These create new patterns by emphasising the negative space between them.

On a random note, the pink-black-white line reminds me of licorice allsorts!

Module 4, Chapter 6: part 2: image 1
Module 4, Chapter 6: part 2: Stitchery to decorate the drawn fabric

Module 4, Chapter 6: part 2: image 2
Module 4, Chapter 6: part 2: image 2 Close up of stitchery to decorate the drawn fabric


Module 4, Chapter 6: part 2: image 3
Module 4, Chapter 6: part 2: image 3 Close up of stitchery to decorate the drawn fabric

No comments:

Post a Comment