Friday 20 February 2015

Module 4, Chapter 5: Exercise 2: Displacing threads

Module 4, Chapter 5, Exercise 2, image 1
Module 4, Chapter 5, Exercise 2, image 1: All my samples together

Experimenting with colour:
For the most dramatic effect on the fabric I coloured onto samples black stripes in various patterns. I then pulled the threads to displace them rather than pull them out completely. The result was added interest and detail to my samples. I found it was the most effective when several strands were displaced in a block (or at least in twos) as only pulling one strand was a little too subtle. See images 2, 3 and 4 for close ups of some of these black stripe samples.

As gold is part of my colour scheme I went on to experiment with colouring the fabric with a gold marker pen before displacing threads. Unfortunately the gold did not stand out particularly well against the red. I then tried it against a black fabric but that did not work particularly well either so this idea was quickly abandoned.

The black fabric I used with the gold pen held my interest however as the warp was white and the weft black within the construction. I noticed that drawn thread work gave fantastic results because of this and I could play with pattern as a result. Pulling the white threads partially out gave a pleasing spotty effect to the fabric.

Finally with all the withdrawn threads I had collected I used these to weave and stitch back into some samples. These gave a range of interesting textures to the surface of the samples.See images 5 and 6 below.

Module 4, Chapter 5, Exercise 2, image 2
Module 4, Chapter 5, Exercise 2, image 2: Displacing threads
Module 4, Chapter 5, Exercise 2, image 3
Module 4, Chapter 5, Exercise 2, image 3: Displacing threads
Module 4, Chapter 5, Exercise 2, image 4
Module 4, Chapter 5, Exercise 2, image 4: Displacing threads
Module 4, Chapter 5, Exercise 2, image 5
Module 4, Chapter 5, Exercise 2, image 5: Reintroducing removed threads
Module 4, Chapter 5, Exercise 2, image 6
Module 4, Chapter 5, Exercise 2, image 6: Reintroducing removed threads

No comments:

Post a Comment