Friday 20 February 2015

Module 4, Chapter 4: Paper making leading to colour scheme

The first time I had ever attempted paper-making was when I did my A levels at school. This previous knowledge helped me to get started with this chapter. I already had an old wooden frame that I was able to cover with fabric netting. This seemed to work quite well in the process. 

My favourite paper experiments came from mixing in a little metallic paper- these elements gave flecks of sparkle to my papers and linked back well to the metallic envelopes I had collected in my media research. This sparkle also represented to me the glitz of the cruise ship so seemed to be quite fitting to my theme. Another element that was successful for me was the addition of strands of silk waste in my accent colour of red. I also had gold threads that were also used for metallic touches within the paper. I found that by adding these threads gave a strength to the papers I created.

Although I love the natural beige/brown colours created by the materials I was using to create my papers and had added colour to these through embedding threads and netting, I decided to add some colour with red tissue paper and other red papers. The result of this was more of a pink effect. I was not too disappointed with this however as the pink related well to some of the stamps i had collected and there were plenty of pink shades and tones within my cruise photos to link with this too.

An element of the paper making that was not as successful for me was trying to emboss it or to create 3D elements to it. These took a long time to dry and on some pieces made the paper quite brittle.

Once I had made my papers I collated examples together along with other media pieces such as stamps to create my colour board (see below). My colour scheme was thus decided to be beige, brown, black, white, red, pink, silver and gold. This sounds like quite a long list, however tonally I feel they work together well and it visually looks to be quite a simple scheme in my opinion.

Module 4, Chapter 4, Image 1
Module 4, Chapter 4, Image 1: Paper-making and colour scheme

No comments:

Post a Comment