Friday 20 February 2015

Module 4, Chapter 6: part 3: Experiments with drawn thread work and stitchery

For the final part of this chapter I experimented with both hand and machine stitchery on my drawn thread samples. I quickly discovered that my favourite technique was using the sewing machine. I loved how the machine naturally gathered the threads together to create a more structured effect. I tested out a range of stitch settings ranging from a zigzag to a closer satin stitch. The closer the stitches were the more dramatic the end result. I really appreciated the way in which the satin stitch emphasised the negative space by creating bigger 'gaps' between the threads. My best results were from where I used a gold thread against the black. 

Below displays a 'summary' of the samples I produced followed by close up photos of some of these samples.
Module 4, Chapter 6: part 3: image 1
Module 4, Chapter 6: part 3: image 1: stitchery samples
Module 4, Chapter 6: part 3: image 2
Module 4, Chapter 6: part 3: image 2: close up of sample

Module 4, Chapter 6: part 3: image 3
Module 4, Chapter 6: part 3: image 3: close up of sample

Module 4, Chapter 6: part 3: image 4
Module 4, Chapter 6: part 3: image 4: Close up of sample

Module 4, Chapter 6: part 3: image 5
Module 4, Chapter 6: part 3: image 5: close up of sample

Module 4, Chapter 6: part 3: image 6
Module 4, Chapter 6: part 3: image 6: close up of sample

Module 4, Chapter 6: part 3: image 7
Module 4, Chapter 6: part 3: image 7: close up of sample




No comments:

Post a Comment